19-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Well if you are repairing then just trusting an AVO to tell you if a wax cap is good enough may be OK. IF you are taking a lot of stuff out from a rough chassis etc why put items tested like that back? Guess its different if you are doing what is called restoration. Caps are cheap, re-stuffing is a pleasure...
I have an insulation tester by Levell and if I put wax caps on that it may be fine set to a few volts but go up a bit and into the ground. The leakage isnt linear, it may be 2M at 10V but get to 100 and its 500K (these are Philips caps in a set currently on the bench).
How much do you need... easy to work out for screen decouplers and the like... AGC lines? what do you reckon? Me 10M at least. Yeah! happy to leave cathode bypass alone but most else and if stuff has to come out then I would probably re-cap it anyway.
As for all that re-forming for electros... No! not for me.
Want the set to work perfectly even if I havent turned it on for a year. Most do, apart from switches although I'm very impressed by the DeOxit, hesitated to get out my £15 for. Better than anything else and fixed a set that Servisol would only cure for a week.
Gary
I have an insulation tester by Levell and if I put wax caps on that it may be fine set to a few volts but go up a bit and into the ground. The leakage isnt linear, it may be 2M at 10V but get to 100 and its 500K (these are Philips caps in a set currently on the bench).
How much do you need... easy to work out for screen decouplers and the like... AGC lines? what do you reckon? Me 10M at least. Yeah! happy to leave cathode bypass alone but most else and if stuff has to come out then I would probably re-cap it anyway.
As for all that re-forming for electros... No! not for me.
Want the set to work perfectly even if I havent turned it on for a year. Most do, apart from switches although I'm very impressed by the DeOxit, hesitated to get out my £15 for. Better than anything else and fixed a set that Servisol would only cure for a week.
Gary







