15-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Thanks Jac.
I do understand your reasoning and yes it makes total sense. Certainly in triplers in other sets I always pondered why the capacitors were seemingly under rated.
The problem is the next step up is 15kv rated, so I either go for lower rated caps with higher value and connect them in series, or go for the 15kv caps which are bulky and may be awkward to install.
I think today I'll fill the can with oil and not solder it and just run it at rated HT on a soak test and see if it fails. To be fair Im not certain why it just stopped, I was still getting drive from the EL38 but EHT just faded as if the set was switched off, it pointed to a valve failure.
We shall see.
I do understand your reasoning and yes it makes total sense. Certainly in triplers in other sets I always pondered why the capacitors were seemingly under rated.
The problem is the next step up is 15kv rated, so I either go for lower rated caps with higher value and connect them in series, or go for the 15kv caps which are bulky and may be awkward to install.
I think today I'll fill the can with oil and not solder it and just run it at rated HT on a soak test and see if it fails. To be fair Im not certain why it just stopped, I was still getting drive from the EL38 but EHT just faded as if the set was switched off, it pointed to a valve failure.
We shall see.






