My Dad was in the Navy on both convoys and U Boat hunts, he was also at Omaha Beach with the Yanks, there was only 3 british destroyers assigned to close fire support they were the Melbreak, the Taylybont and the Tanatside, all three were Hunt Class Destroyers, he was on the Tanatside, he would have witnessed all those troops being slaughtered on the beach.
He didn't talk about it to much, but he did tell me what the weather could be like in the Atlantic and further up in the North Sea. 50 ft waves and chipping ice of the radio mast, as a kid I never used to believe him but when I was in my early twenties I was on a Polish ship the TSS Stefan Batory on route to Montreal, about 500 miles west of Ireland a storm ten violent storm 11 broke out, the ship was quite a decent sized one but it beggered belief how it was tossed around by the waves, a bit concerned I was. The thing that always stayed with me was the shuddering of the steel hull when she came down off a crest.
Lawrence.
He didn't talk about it to much, but he did tell me what the weather could be like in the Atlantic and further up in the North Sea. 50 ft waves and chipping ice of the radio mast, as a kid I never used to believe him but when I was in my early twenties I was on a Polish ship the TSS Stefan Batory on route to Montreal, about 500 miles west of Ireland a storm ten violent storm 11 broke out, the ship was quite a decent sized one but it beggered belief how it was tossed around by the waves, a bit concerned I was. The thing that always stayed with me was the shuddering of the steel hull when she came down off a crest.
Lawrence.







