26-02-2013, 05:15 PM
(25-02-2013, 08:53 PM)Yorkie Wrote: Bomber Command never really received the recognition they deserved in quite the way that fighter pilots did.
There’s a wonderful book By Michael Bishop for anyone interested in Bomber Command as I am, called Bomber Boys (paperback and Kindle)
No it's something of a tragedy that post war sensibilities saw what they did as something distasteful which must be forgotten. It was sadly a necessary part of war and the Lancaster crews made enormous sacrifices which without doubt shortened the war.
Bomber Boys is in my "in tray"
but if you are into fiction I can recommend "Tuesdays War" by David Fiddimore. (I listened to the audio version read by the superb Glem McCready) It tells the story of a Lancaster crew's tour, warts and all, through the eyes of Charlie Bassett, the Sparks, so totally appropriate for a radio forum. I found it funny, moving and a very entertaining book.
Regards, John.







