Thanks for reading the post John, and for pointing us to the link. Excellent website too, with lots of stuff worth looking at!
Take a look at the Phillips 'Superinductance' ('Ovaltiney') bought for a bargain price, but then - as in so many cases - the cabinet has been stripped and the two dark bands of toner, which look like a darker veneer but aren't. have been removed and the cabinet French polished, thus destroying its originality. I'm sure that in many cases, with the original lacquer flaking off, the 'restorer' starts to strip the cabinet, not appreciating that the two dark bands aren't - as he may have believed - a darker veneer, but dark toner. By the time that's realised, it's too late. Almost all of the Superinductances I've seen have been got at in this way. Shame really, given that the older and more classic the set, th3 more care it deserves, and the more important that 'conservation' rather than 'renovation' is called for. The set in question hasn't been 'restored' it's been modified, and thus, downgraded in a very noticable way.
I wonder if these sets ever find their way into the hands of top class restorers rather than enthusistic dabblers?
http://g4oep.atspace.com/oval/634.htm
Right off the topic of minuature valves, but relvant neverthess to the website in question.
Take a look at the Phillips 'Superinductance' ('Ovaltiney') bought for a bargain price, but then - as in so many cases - the cabinet has been stripped and the two dark bands of toner, which look like a darker veneer but aren't. have been removed and the cabinet French polished, thus destroying its originality. I'm sure that in many cases, with the original lacquer flaking off, the 'restorer' starts to strip the cabinet, not appreciating that the two dark bands aren't - as he may have believed - a darker veneer, but dark toner. By the time that's realised, it's too late. Almost all of the Superinductances I've seen have been got at in this way. Shame really, given that the older and more classic the set, th3 more care it deserves, and the more important that 'conservation' rather than 'renovation' is called for. The set in question hasn't been 'restored' it's been modified, and thus, downgraded in a very noticable way.
I wonder if these sets ever find their way into the hands of top class restorers rather than enthusistic dabblers?
http://g4oep.atspace.com/oval/634.htm
Right off the topic of minuature valves, but relvant neverthess to the website in question.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







