28-11-2023, 06:49 PM
(This post was last modified: 28-11-2023, 07:05 PM by Mike Watterson.)
I'd assumed it was an MB4. However it could be something else. Or both. Pye often had multiple model names for the same item. However M4B suits the way other models are named and it's got no mains option. I can't remember what Radio! Radio! wrote, though it does have some mistakes!
M4Q, approx 1937, no mains. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_m4q.html
M5A, approx 1939, only mains. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_m5am_5.html
Iconic speaker fret, though no shortage of teapot themed radios though this is probably meant to represent Aladdin's Lamp, a design actually most used by the Romans, not by Arab tellers of Aladdin tale.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_mb4_mb_4.html
It might have been the smallest portable radio with a speaker in the UK in 1936. The headphone socket likely is HT to Anode for 2K + 2K in series. My 1929 McMichael is like that.
I was never able to get one when I was actively collecting portable valve sets. My oldest Roberts is maybe 1946.
Bad with cold. Hope above makes sense.
M4Q, approx 1937, no mains. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_m4q.html
M5A, approx 1939, only mains. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_m5am_5.html
Iconic speaker fret, though no shortage of teapot themed radios though this is probably meant to represent Aladdin's Lamp, a design actually most used by the Romans, not by Arab tellers of Aladdin tale.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_mb4_mb_4.html
It might have been the smallest portable radio with a speaker in the UK in 1936. The headphone socket likely is HT to Anode for 2K + 2K in series. My 1929 McMichael is like that.
I was never able to get one when I was actively collecting portable valve sets. My oldest Roberts is maybe 1946.
Bad with cold. Hope above makes sense.







